5 Ways to Become Healthier and More Balanced
If you are like most, you probably feel overworked and under-rested, both of which can wreak havoc on your mental and physical health. It is suggested that Americans work more hours than they ever have and take less time for themselves. You may not have a week’s worth of vacation days you can use but there are small changes in your lifestyle that you can make to increase your overall health.
1. Weekly Breakation – A coffee break is not refreshing and a vacation is rarely attainable so you need to schedule yourself a weekly breakation. Now this could be something as simple as putting on your motorcycle leathers, jumping on your bike and hitting the open road for a couple of hours or you can take an extended road trip for the weekend until you find a bed and breakfast somewhere and relax for the night. The important thing is that you schedule yourself in some down time that is just for you, where you don’t have to answer to anyone else or take care of any responsibilities. You can’t have balance in your life without a little fun time!
2. Exercise – It is hard to even think about exercise sometimes with a busy lifestyle but if you boost your energy levels, you’ll get a lot more done. Exercise fights off illness, disease, depression, anxiety and it helps you sleep better. Find the time to at least take a walk everyday. If you can start your morning with one, you will find your entire day more enjoyable and productive.
3. Evaluate Your Errands – First, you need to make a list of things you need to accomplish when you’re out and about so you can get all your errands done in one trip. This way you’re not running back out later or the next day! Then, you have to figure out ways to eliminate chores to free up time. Paying a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn, pull weeds and shovel could really allow you some relaxation time.
4. Eliminate Activities You Don’t Love – Are you a member of a book club, parenting group, yoga class, etc? Some people have so much going on because they feel obligated, not because they actually enjoy their activities. Your time is valuable, only time participate if you really want to!
5. Relax – Step away from your computer, BlackBerry and television and do something for 15 to 20 minutes everyday that will relax you and allow your mind and body to recharge. This may be walking the dog, soaking in the tub or laying in the hammock and reading a chapter a day in a good book. You need to make time for small bursts of relaxation to bring balance to your hectic day.
Balance is incredibly important to achieve maximum health, mentally and physically. You may think you don’t have time but really, you do! You simply need to take a good look at how you’re spending your time everyday and pencil yourself in!
About the Author
Mike Ellero is fortunate to have a job he loves, selling motorcycles! This also allows him the chance to ride everyday and bring a fun balance to his life. On his website, you’ll find useful information on everything from motorcycle safety to buying the right heated motorcycle jackets.