7 Ways to Get Over Your Cold Faster
Having a cold is a frustrating experience. It makes you feel miserable, seems to go one forever, and there is no real cure. Well, here are a few ways to help your body help itself and get over your cold faster.
- Move – The more you lie down and mope around, the worse you will feel. Don’t get me wrong, you should still rest, but you need to keep moving. Even just sitting up and standing for a few minutes will help the mucus to drain a bit and make you feel better. Don’t go crazy and work out, or you’ll make yourself sicker. Just a little gentle movement is the key.
- Keep hydrated – The more water and clear fluids you drink, the thinner the mucus will get. I know that is a disgusting topic, but you do want the mucus to drain out or you run the risk of infection. You don’t want a bacterial infection on top of your cold virus.
- Zinc – While vitamins won’t cure what ails you, zinc can help your cold go away faster. They even have lozenges to coat your throat and soothe the tickle. Available in your local pharmacy, this simple trick can shorten your cold by a couple of days.
- Vitamin C – Another vitamin that can help, vitamin C is a wonder drug. It actually strengthens your body’s immune system. Not only will it help to fight your cold, but it will also help to keep you from picking up any other nasty bugs along the way. Taken regularly, it dramatically reduces your chances of infection.
- Echinacea–This flower slash herb is a commonly prescribed remedy for colds in many parts of the world. It works great for some people and does absolutely nothing for others, so it really comes down to trying it out and seeing if it works for you.
- Saline nose rinse – Another great way of getting over a cold faster is flushing out your sinuses. Having mucus build up is a good way of increasing your chance for secondary infection, and the constant drainage can irritate your chest and throat. Fight that by buying an over the counter nasal rinse system, like NeilMed, and using it twice a day until you are over your cold.
- Over the counter medication – Though there is no medicine that will cure a cold, there are many that will treat the symptoms. Don’t be pig headed and pretend you are going to let your body fight it off naturally. You are just making it harder on yourself. Your symptoms might just be hidden by the medication, but drying up the mucus and stopping the cough will help your body get the reprieve it needs to be at its best. A good night’s sleep and a day without throat irritation will help your body to get better faster, so don’t fight the medication that can help you achieve that.
There are many more ways you can find to help with a cold, but these seven are the top picks and usually the most effective. I know it is miserable when you live with a cold, but don’t fear. With these seven aids in your system, you’ll soon be back on your feet.
Kate Croston is a freelance writer, holds a bachelors degree in Journalism and Mass Communication. She writes guest posts for different sites and loves contributing home internet service related topics. Questions or comments can be sent to: katecroston.croston09 @ gmail.com.
More Tips for the Common Cold
- Winter Tips: A Survival Guide for the Common Cold
- Eat Kiwi to Shrug Off the Annual Cold
- Don’t Let Your Cold Get the Best of You
- Natural Remedies For the Common Cold