How to Live a Healthy Lifestyle When You’re Always on Go
Traveling can be stressful, and for individuals who are constantly on the go, it can be extremely difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Airports and train stations are filled with unhealthy food options, and most people don’t stay in one place long enough to keep healthy food on hand for when they are in hotels. Most end up going out to eat and skipping the gym because it seems as if doing otherwise would be too inconvenient. That couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, living a healthy lifestyle while on the go can be easy, so long as proper preparation is taken.
1. Keep healthy foods on hand. People tend to indulge in unhealthy eating habits when they have no other options or when they let themselves get to the point where they are starving. To avoid the point of starvation, keep healthy food items in a purse, bag, briefcase, or whatever. These foods can include healthy granola bars, almonds, carrot sticks, or any other type of food that is enjoyable to munch on and will keep the body satisfied for longer. Most fast food restaurants have started to provide healthier menu items. Skip the carbohydrates and sugar, and opt for a salad and a piece of fruit instead.
2. Exercising while on the go is easy. It doesn’t have to require a gym membership or even workout clothes. Take the stairs whenever possible. While it may be five minutes of working out here, and another five minutes there, at the end of the day it adds up. Have a break between meetings? Going for a quick stroll is a great way to keep the body going and rev up the metabolism during the day. While utilizing hotel gyms is always a great option, sometimes it isn’t feasible, but that shouldn’t deter travelers from engaging in physical activity throughout the day.
3. Avoid beverages that are high in calories. When traveling, studies show that individuals feel more inclined to treat themselves to foods and beverages they wouldn’t normally consume otherwise. Skip the sodas and juices, and opt for a low calorie, low sugar option instead. Sparkling water with a piece of fruit is an excellent substitute for juices, and diet soda options are a fantastic way to replace soda if looking for that delicious, sugary taste without all of the calories.
4. Drink water. Most travelers forget to drink water while they are on the go, which can drastically affect the body’s overall health. The body requires water in order to metabolize food, so skipping out on water can be disastrous to weight loss efforts. Keep a bottle on hand at all times. It will serve as an easy reminder to drink up.
5. Take advantage of downtime during traveling. Sure, it may seem rather enticing to try and catch up on a few minutes of work while traveling, but the fact of the matter is that time can be used for something even better – sleep. When on the go and staying up late, the body doesn’t get all the sleep it requires to stay healthy. Taking advantage of quick naps during layovers or on plane rides is an easy way to replenish energy stores and avoid the nasty effects caused by sleep deprivation.
6. Listen to soothing music. Tension and stress can have awful effects on the body, but listening to relaxing music or white noise is a great way to unwind at the end of a stressful day. Stress has been associated with weight gain, wrinkles, and a number of other awful things. Keeping the mind and body relaxed are vital to one’s health.
Being constantly on the go doesn’t have to affect one’s life negatively. So long as certain steps are taken to ensure proper eating, sleeping and exercise habits, travelers can rest assured knowing their mind and body are being properly taken care of.