Do you know which fruit or vegetables are the best picks for certain vitamins and minerals? Here are a few questions to test your skills.
1. Which has more vitamin C? A medium-sized orange or a medium-sized bell pepper?
[Image Source 1 & 2]
2. Which has more potassium? A medium-sized potato or a medium sized banana?
3. Again, which has more potassium? A cup of pinto beans or a medium-sized banana?
4. Which has more calcium? 1 cup of chia seeds or 1 cup of cow’s milk?
1. The bell pepper. While oranges are a great source of vitamin C, bell peppers actually pack in more of this immune-booster.
2. The potato. Although they are much vilified for the starch content, but potatoes do have a lot of nutrients–including lots of potassium.
3. The pinto beans. In addition to protein and fiber, pinto beans have a significant amount of potassium.
4. The chia seeds. Chia seeds are a health-food trend for good reason. These seeds have up to 4x as much calcium as cow’s milk!
Were you surprised by any of the results? The lesson here is that sometimes we don’t realized that all plant foods can be full of vitamins and minerals. Choosing to eat a variety will allow you to reap the benefits of all the different possibilities of color, flavor, and nutrients that produce has to offer.