Oprah Goes Vegan….for a week.
For one week…..Oprah and 378 of her Harpo staffers went vegan.
That meant no meat, no fish, no milk, no eggs—nothing that comes from an animal—for seven full days.
According to Oprah, there are two main reasons why she launched this Vegan Challenge.
- To make a moral argument against the killing of animals for food
- To raise awareness of how our food makes us feel…healthwise
At the end of the week:
- 300 of the 378 participants successfully completed the challenge
- Collectively, they lost 444 pounds…
- Used a record amount of toilet paper, and…
- Were happy to abandon the Vegan Lifestyle
But really, the actions of 378 Harpo employees was never the point.
The real question is whether or not the millions of Oprah’s viewers will be moved to become a little more vegan and a little less carnivore.
But surprsingly, Oprah and her vegan guru Kathy Freston have been suffering a bit of a backlash from the vegan community regarding the foods showcased during this episode. Their complaint is that instead of promoting a diet based on “real food”, the participants were shown eating a variety of processed & packaged McVegan meals from Whole Foods.
And that seems to have gotten some “real” vegans’ knickers in a knot.
To the point where on some vegan online forums & blogs, Oprah’s vegan guru Kathy Freston is being branded as a pseudo-vegan.
Harsh. Possibly true, but harsh nonetheless.
So, here’s my question for you:
After taking a look at Kathy Freston’s suggested vegan meal plan, do you consider her a true vegan?