Never heard of Quinoa? We’re not surprised. This wonder food once gathered dust on grocery store shelves. Over the last two years it has exploded on the internet, in cookbooks and in popular healthy diet recipes. It has become especially popular among vegan, weight loss, gluten-free and vegetarian diets. So what makes this newly discovered super food so “super”? Let’s take a look at all of the benefits of Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).
Why Is Quinoa so Healthy?
- It’s easy to cook. Simply add water (or chicken broth) and bring to a boil. Make sure you rinse the Quinoa first. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes and you’re done. It cooks faster than rice and you can simply drain the extra liquid like pasta if there is leftover.
- It’s EXTREMELY nutritious. Quinoa is filled with almost everything your body needs. It is packed with protein, twice the amount of normal grains. Plus, it contains all the essential amino acids, not the norm for a high protein food. You’ll also get 21% of you daily allowance of fiber from just one serving (1 cup). For vitamins it includes a high concentration of folate as well as vitamin E, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. The 3 main minerals found in Quinoa are manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
- It’s low in fat and calories. Quinoa has just 222 calories and 4 grams of fat per cup cooked. It’s also low in sodium and has no cholesterol or sugar.
- It has a long shelf life. Cooked Quinoa can be stored in the fridge for over a week and does not become dry like rice which makes it easy to grab for a fast meal. Some even say it tastes better re-heated. It also freezes well. Uncooked Quinoa lasts near forever as long as it is kept away from bugs and moisture.
- It works in many common recipes. Many people use Quinoa as a healthier substitute for rice or pastas which makes it very easy to fit into your daily meal plan. It will taste different in different recipes so you won’t get bored of it easily. It’s commonly used to make salads, risottos, soups and even desserts.
- It’s delicious! Quinoa has a very addictive nutty flavor. The texture is wonderful and it can be flavored with your favorite spices.
Now that you are aware of why you should make Quinoa a staple in your diet, let’s share with you some of our favorite Quinoa recipes.
How to Incorporate Quinoa into Your Daily Meals!
- For Breakfast: If you like Oatmeal, you’ll love Hot Quinoa Breakfast with Fruits.
- For Lunch: There are many variations of this Delicious Big Bowl.
- For Dinner: Our favorite and absolutely delicious topped with jalapenos, salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese: Quinoa and Black Beans.
- Kid Approved: If you want to make this food a staple, you’ll have to find a way for your children to enjoy it as well. What kid doesn’t love Cheesy Quinoa?