Get Rich by Investing in Obesity
Over the past few decades, we have seen the rates of obesity explode all around the world.
- Around the world 500 million people are obese and 1.4 billion are overweight
- Obesity rates have doubled in the past three decades
- Obesity-related illnesses account for 21% of US medical spending
- Obesity is the fifth greatest cause of death, leading to 2.8 million fatalities each year
- By 2030, there will be 65,000,000 more obese Americans.
And as with any other epidemic, “the search is on for ways to profit from it”.
This is the driving force behind the new BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research report called “Globesity – The Global Fight Against Obesity.”
“Global obesity is a mega-investment theme for the next 25 years and beyond. Obesity may be the most pressing health challenge facing the world today and efforts to tackle it will shape thinking by policy makers and in boardrooms around the world,” said Sarbjit Nahal, equity strategist at BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research.
Let me repeat - Mega Investment Theme – which Merrill reasonably predicts will require a “25 to 50-year systems perspective”. We’re not talking day-trading here. We’re talking long term investments with massive corporations generating solid and consistent returns for the next 25-50 years…in the following four areas:
- Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare
- Commercial Weight Loss, Diet Management and Nutrition
- Sports Apparel and Equipment
And just in case you’re worried that it may already be too late to get in on these investments…. according to the Financial Times, “the alarm about obesity has not yet manifested itself in markets. All the gains remain to be made“.
Which is convenient…. because we’re all going to need a bunch more money to pay our ever-increasing obesity-related medical expenses.
So there you go…if you want to get rich, invest in obesity.