Make Snacks Count!
Let’s play a game… I say “snack” and you think what? …I know what you thought… you can confess! LOL
Want to know what I’m thinking when I think snack? Decadence, flavor, life, energy, nourishment, strength, omega-3s, antioxidants, magnesium, calcium, iron, fiber, phytosterols, phytonutrients, amino acids, immediately usable energy with zero downside – no crash, no sugar, no toxins, no processed products, no bad fats, no bad cholesterol, no harmful carbs or grains. That’s the power of raw.
When your snacks pack power:
1) you’ll find your energy throughout the day is always high and that you always feel fantastic when everyone else is lethargic and hit the 3pm wall (they will most likely reach for coffee & donuts, stressing their pancreas and more, they’ll hit a half hour high then crash, suffer mood swings… yet 2 hours later you will still be sharp, bursting with energy, looking forward to your workout after work)
2) you’re not as hungry at each meal, making moderation easy and a way of life rather than feeling like a sacrifice
3) your metabolism shoots up because it is constantly being fed – your body will not be in fat storing mode, instead it will become an efficient fat burning machine and you will lose weight effortlessly
4) this one goes without say but I’ll say it: when you are having fabulously nutritious snacks it means you aren’t having the toxic junk… avoiding the bad stuff is just as important as eating the good stuff
My favourite raw snack: Walnut/Cashew/Chia/Cinnamon/Cacao Clusters
10 minute prep:
On extremely low heat with the double pan technique melt raw cacao butter (4 parts) and coconut oil (1 part), then mix in anything you like: nuts, seeds, goji berries, chia seeds, coconut flakes, even soaked quinoa, raw cacao powder for a rich chocolaty flavor, spices (which can be great anti-inflammatories) – mix it, then spoon clusters onto wax paper on a tray and place in the fridge. Once hardened you’ll have raw bites that are downright decadent and packed with power – and experimenting with flavors is soooooo much fun!
- image credit: Raw Goji Cocao Energy Bar from Rawmazing.com