1. Use smaller plates at dinner.Take two fewer bites of most things you eat (broccoli is not on this list)! Put leftover food away right after serving dinner so you aren’t tempted to go back for seconds just because it’s there! I’m fully aware that these are three tips in one. Shorter sentences were on sale today.
2. Women tend to reduce their muscle mass by 1/3 and lose 12-14% of their strength by age 60 (with a concurrent increase in body fat percentage).Glinda the Good cannot wave her wand to solve this, Mr. Goodbar will only cheer you up for a few minutes (yes, I know they’re tasty, but milk chocolate? Meh), and even “sex on the platter” with Mr. Goodstuff won’t solve this dilemma (okay, it will a bit). You need to add strength training to your routine, ladies. Sometime sooner than age 59 ½ !!
Editor’s note: Ladies, if you’re worried about whether or not weight training will make you huge, follow the link for Alexandra’s previous post on this topic.
3. During exercise, 25 to just above 50% of the fat that is expended comes from intramuscular fat. The rest? Fatty acids in the blood, then adipose tissue. So? So…to burn more fat, work at a comfortable, but challenging intensity. ALERT ALERT ALERT. Notice I did not say, “to burn more calories,” I said, “to burn more fat.” That’s different.
4. Did #3 leave you with your adipose tissue flapping in the wind, totally curious about the difference between burning fat and burning calories? To burn more calories, incorporate high-intensity short-duration workouts (interval & fast continuous), plus multi-mode training. For people who love math (all 3 of you), Slower and longer = more fat burned; faster and shorter = more calories burned. But I’m still going to say you need strength training.
5. Motivating music can make you work out harder, faster and longer as the tempo goes up, A 10% tempo increase can significantly increase your endurance and make exercise a more positive experience. Suggested bands? Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Madonna. Does this mean the material girl will rock your blood sugar sex magik, all you Bohemians?
Sources: Science Daily, 10/02/08; Kravitz, L. “The Caloric Burn and Strategies to Enhance Fat Metabolism” 2009; Josephson, S. “Women, Metabolism & the Hormonal Highway” 2010.