If you are not yet familiar, Jalapeno is a chili pepper variety widely used in North American cuisine. It is originally cultivated in Central America and Mexico and the pepper is named after Xalapa, a capital city in Mexico. It became a substitute to black pepper, which was very expensive at that time, for it was still imported from Asia. After over seven thousand years, Jalapeno is not only used in cooking but also as a medicine too.
If you wonder why jalapenos became popular as a health remedy, we have listed below the top six health benefits of Jalapeno.
- Relief of Migraine – studies have shown that Jalapeno chili pepper helps ease migraine and sinus headaches. It has been known that jalapeno has the alkaloid compound called capsaicin that is responsible in giving jalapeno a hot and strong spicy character. This compound of Jalapeno slows down substance P, a neuropeptide that is responsible in transmitting brain pain.
- Sinusitis prevention and congestion relief – as capsaicin produces the hot and spicy component of Jalapeno, the produced heat helps clear up mucus in one’s nose as it stimulates secretions a lot like one is having a runny nose and thus nasal congestion is gone. Other than that, jalapeno also has antibacterial component that helps fight sinus infection. Therefore, one can start kissing goodbye to headaches caused by sinusitis.
- Helps Fight Cancer – a study conducted by the Cancer Research on their March 15 issues shows that another thing capsaicin can do to our body while enjoying jalapeno is that it helps prostate cancer cell to fight and kill each other or themselves. The research was done in mice wherein and estimated 80 percent of the prostate cancer cells found leads into cell death giving way for new cells. According to Dr. Lehmann, Capsaicin also helps slowing down prostate tumor growth.
- Helps Improve Cardiovascular System – other than stimulating secretion, slows down cancer cells, and more, jalapeno’s capsaicin component also helps reduce cholesterol, improves platelet and reduce triglycerides , thus helps improves every human’s cardio vascular system. Jalapeno also helps in dissolving fibrin, thus prevents blood clot to form. On the other hand, it has been known that people who used to have jalapeno in their meals have lower rates of stroke and heart attack compared to those who are not into spicy foods. Aside from capsaicin, jalapeno also has bioflavonoid and rich in Vitamin A and C that helps strengthen the immune system, blood vessels making it easier to adjust changes in blood pressure.
- Help Prevent Inflammation – with the ability of jalapeno to slow down substance P, it does make this wonder food spice not only good in relieving headaches due to migraine and sinusitis but also it makes jalapeno a good anti-inflammatory agent. The capsaicin present in Jalapeno is also great in treating arthritis, diabetic neuropathy and psoriasis.
- Helps Lose Weight – if you are trying too hard to lose weight, then maybe you should now try including jalapeno in your meals. This is probably one of the loveliest benefits of Jalapeno. Because of capsaicin, jalapeno is known as one of the thermogenic food that burn fats. In this way, you will be enjoying the leaner and healthier body figure you desired for long.