Looking great is about more than just choosing the right dress, great shoes and a nice new lipstick. Taking care of your hair, your and your nails the right way is a big part of it. Here are ten tips to help you stay healthy from head to toe.
- Eat your way to healthier hair, skin and nails – Adopting a healthier diet can do a lot more for you than just help you maintain a healthy weight. Many foods can also help you grow stronger longer hair and nails and get the kind of glow to your skin that you just cannot get out of a bottle!
Getting enough protein is essential for the health of your nails, skin and hair. Simply adding an extra serving or two of lean meats, chicken, seafood, legumes, eggs and low fat dairy products can work wonders for all three in just a matter of weeks.
- Avoid Tanning Beds – By now most of us have heeded the warnings about not spending too much time in the sun but heading to the tanning booth to get tan is just as bad, if not worse. The UV lights cause premature wrinkling, dry out your hair and those rays can cause skin cancer as well. Instead opt for a tanning moisturizer which actually contains things that are good for your skin.
- Discover the Power of Biotin – Biotin is a B vitamin that, like all of the other B vitamins, is very good for your overall health. It helps boost your energy levels and regulate your blood sugar among other benefits. It is also essential if you want to get longer hair and strong nails. Some researchers have also found that a biotin deficiency seems to contribute to hair loss.
A number of different foods contain higher levels of biotin including oily fish, egg yolks, legumes and brewer’s yeast. Some people also choose to add a biotin supplement to their vitamin regime to benefit from the beautifying benefits of biotin even further.
- If You Must Color Your Hair Go Pro – You can never really say that dyeing your hair is good for it but you will do far less damage if you let a trained professional handle your hair coloring needs instead of trying to do it yourself which can have disastrous results and home coloring mistakes can be more expensive to try and fix than if you had just gone to a salon in the first place.
- Quit Biting Your Nails – Not only does biting your nails ruin them completely in doing so you are transferring all kinds of nasty germs from your nails to your mouth and you can potentiallyÂ make yourself very sick. Its a hard habit to break but painting your nails with an over the counter deterrent product can really help.
- Don’t Mess with Pimples – Some people think that by popping pimples or squeezing blackheads they will be getting rid of them more quickly but in fact by doing those kinds if things you will just make the problem worse. Skin is very delicate and messing with blemishes usually leads to scarring that is permanent. Concentrate on developing a skincare routine that helps reduce break outs instead.
- Go Sulfate Free – If you want the healthiest possible hair more and more haircare professionals are recommending that you dump sulfate laden shampoos and opt for a more natural, sulfate free product instead.
Sulfates are added to shampoos as a cleansing agent mainly because they are cheap and they produce lots of those bubbles that people think are so important. Natural shampoos use different ingredients to cleanse and do not produce as much lather but they do not dry the hair in the way that sulfate based shampoos very often can.
- Ward Off Free Radicals – Free radicals in the environment around us can damage our bodies inside and out and the visible damage shows most in the skin and the hair. Dull lifeless hair and premature wrinkles can both be partially blamed on these nasty little things.
Antioxidants are the defense against them. In addition to making sure you get anti oxidants in your food consider using shampoos and facial care products that are formulated with ingredients that contain antioxidants like Vitamin C and Green Tea.
- Quit Smoking – Need yet another reason to finally make you kick the habit for good? Smoking is aging your skin every day.
- De-Stress – Stress affects the way you look as well as the way you feel and it especially shows in the condition of your skin, hair and even your nails. While avoiding stress altogether may be impossible making efforts to relax whenever possible will improve your looks as well as your mood!