5. Talking the Walk – There are several ways to take this. Literally, if you are on a walk and can comfortably talk the whole time, you are probably taking more of a stroll, mosey, or the infamous lollygag, than an actual fitness walk. Half literal, half metaphorical is if youâ€™re one of those people who gets onto a strength machine in the gym, then proceeds to take a prolonged â€œpassiveâ€ rest break between sets.
First of all, you should be taking an â€œactiveâ€ rest, but more to the point, if you workout with a friend, and spend the rest time chatting with each other, both of you are now talking instead of working. Ahem! And in the metaphorical sense, if spend more time thinking or talking about how you plan to exercise soon than you do actually doing any exercise, well, that would definitely be a bad habit, donâ€™t you think?
4. Using Exercise as an Excuse to Overeat – Any time the word â€œexcuseâ€ or â€œreasonâ€ shows up, you know youâ€™re about to sabotage yourself. Yes, vigorous exercise can make you hungry. Yes, you should replenish yourself, especially if youâ€™re actually hungry, but no no no no no, it should not be empty or excessive calories. If you fill up on healthy calories (sorry, Twinkies will not get in with a fake I.D.) you will probably stay sated longer. But whether you eat sweet peas from your garden or Ho-Hos from the Garden of Tempting Processed Snacks that Call to You at the Grocery Store End-Caps, you still have to expend more calories than you ingest. Unless your goal is weight gain, naturally!
3. 5 Minutes Late Turns into a Full-on Ditch – Baggy pants are okay; bagging class not so much. Donâ€™t be one of those perennially late party poopers. Part of class is better than no class. If you have one of those instructors who hassles you if you miss the first few minutes, switch instructors. And if you usually go to the weight room, it really doesnâ€™t matter if youâ€™re a skosh late – the machines canâ€™t tell time!
2. Gotta Get Fit Before I Can Work Out – Wha? Hunh? Can you believe I actually had a boyfriend who used this line to avoid the gym? He carried his membership card around in his pocket, but said there was no way he could go to the gym until he was in better shape. Donâ€™t live in this black hole of opposite-day! The other people at the club are too busy working out to worry about your extra poundage. And if they judge you, thatâ€™s their problem. Who cares what those haters think?
1. Easily Distracted by Other Options – Is this you? Always meaning to get to the gym, but somehow something else always comes up. Had to clip the catâ€™s nails, iron the napkins (even though theyâ€™re paper), bring a forgotten lunch to the kids, and on and on until itâ€™s too late.
Donâ€™t be a squirrel. Be an exerciser! Get better habits. You can do it. Squirrel!