TheÂ 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans were just released. Here are the highlights:
â€¢ Enjoy your food, but eat less.
â€¢ Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
â€¢ Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
â€¢ Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1 percent) milk.
Foods to Reduce
â€¢ Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen mealsâ€”and choose the foods with lower numbers.
â€¢ Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
After years of mocking the USDA for it’s upside down food pyramid, this doesn’t look too bad.
- Eat less food….but make that food higher in nutrient density
- Eat more fruit & vegetables….while reducing your consumption of other less nutritious/more calorie dense foods.
- Drink water instead of soda
- Reduce consumption of high sodium processed foods
Sounds pretty good to me.
Not perfect…but pretty good.
Perfect would have:
- Reduced the consumption of all dairy…not just high fat dairy.
- Reduced the consumption of all grain products