By now all of us are aware of the health benefits of dark chocolate. Even those who donâ€™t know their blueberries from their beetroot have cottoned on to this happy health message (ditto the glass of red wine a day one).
Here is an unbelievable pudding that stretches the health benefit to include calcium-rich and phyto-oestrogen filled tofu. Yep, you read right, tofu. Whether you are cutting down on dairy, avoiding uncooked eggs, watching your fat intake or just love chocolate, you â€“ and whoever you decide to share this with â€“ will be delighted with the results.
A few notes before you get down to making this: do add the tablespoon of alcohol or vanilla extract as it helps the final result (even if you donâ€™t taste it); use Green & Blacks solid chocolate and cocoa powder, or the equivalent; chill at least one hour (over night is fine too). The texture is ever so slightly grainy but other than that it is a dead-ringer for the cream-laden version.
- 1 x 300g package silken tofu, drained if needed (find with the health foods or with dried vegetables in most supermarkets)
- 100g Green & Blackâ€™s 72% Cookâ€™s Chocolate, broken up
- 30g unsweetened Green & Blackâ€™s cocoa powder
- 60ml water
- 1 Tbsp brandy, rum or liqueur (e.g Drambuie, Cointreau, hazelnut) OR good quality vanilla extract (not essence)
- 80-100g unrefined caster sugar OR favourite low-cal sweetener (measure to your taste)
Puree the drained silken tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth, scraping down the sides.
Put the remaining ingredients in a double boiler saucepan or heat-proof bowl fitted over a saucepan containing 2 cm of simmering water. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat. Pour the melted mixture into the blender/food processor and whiz until smooth, again scraping down the sides. Spoon the â€˜mousseâ€™ evenly into five ramekins or teacups; cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Shave a bit of chocolate over each if you are feeling extra decadent. Cherry compote spooned on top is also nice.