I am not the healthiest person in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Although I still fit in my old jeans, I’ve managed to pack on a bit here and there. While I thought that my strength and stamina was still what it was 20 years ago, I was proven wrong by a game system. Playing some of the games using my brother’s Kinect was one of the most grueling experiences of my life and knocked me off of that small pedestal I had myself on.
1. Determined to Win –Â Who would have thought that a game system would have such a high physical requirement? Little did I realize that it doesn’t. It is myself who has such a low physical aptitude, and the Xbox 360 was just a reminder that I’m not 20 years old anymore. Determined not to let a simple game system beat me, I purchased my own. Although I am still working on keeping my breath when my children are schooling me in the art of 21st century game-play, I refuse to give them the satisfaction that I am merely too old to keep up.
2. Encouraging My Children –Â To be honest, I don’t really see why so many people are judgmental of my practices with the Xbox. After all, some of the best exercises in the world are based on nothing more than repetitive movement. In my case, I get to enjoy some time with my children as we battle for supremacy on the game system. I view the entire experience as getting more exercise than I once did while spending quality time with the family. While they have their own games that they like to play, we try to get a variety so everyone in the family can enjoy the experience and play together. As I have failed to continue my upkeep of activity, I don’t wish my children to go through the same situation. If keeping them physically active while providing entertainment is an easy way to do so, then who is that wrong?
3. Variety of Games –Â Although there are exercise games available for the Xbox 360, I personally prefer one that has an objective to complete. Currently, I am quite into Kung Fu Panda 2 and the Kinect Adventures that comes with the unit. However, the most grueling game I have ever subjected myself to was Wipe Out. I can admit that it did exactly what its name implies. I was so exhausted from playing that game that I couldn’t make it past the first level. It is at that point that I realized that my physical prowess was anything but exemplary.
4. Self-Consciousness –Â Since I’ve been regularly playing these games, I have noticed a significant difference in my overall health. Just spending 20 minutes a day, or longer depending on the game, I have noticed that I don’t get winded nearly as quickly as I used to. I’ve also noticed a difference in general bodily functionality. Was I really not getting that much exercise? I’m only in my mid-thirties, but I suppose I haven’t been leading the most active lifestyle for the past decade. Before you realize it, time can slip past you denying a great deal of your health. Although it’s never too late to get yourself back on track, the longer you wait – the harder it will be.
5. The Aftermath –Â Although the original reason why I purchased the Xbox 360 was to get more exercise throughout the day, it does see more use than that. Since then, we’ve added quite a few games to the family collection. However, I make it my duty that everyone plays a Kinect game at some point if they want to continue using the device.
I don’t want the Kinect to turn into one of those items that was installed and used for a month only to collect dust a few weeks later. Of course, I don’t have to worry about that myself since I use it quite regularly. My hope is to inspire the children to do more than sit at a chair and flick their thumbs about trying to play a game. If we’re going to have a console, I believe they need to work for the privilege of using the device.
I’ve tried some of the other games systems for exercise such as the Wii, but none put me through my paces more than the Kinect. While some will have expensive weight sets or memberships to workout clubs, I have a simple game system that is turning my physical health around in an entertaining way. Say what you will about using game systems to “pretend” to exercise, mine has made a great difference in my life and has helped my children stay active as well.
Blogging for was a natural progression for Allison once she graduated from college, as it allowed her to combine her two passions: writing and children. She has enjoyed furthering her writing career withÂ www.nannyclassifieds.com.Â She can be in touch through e-mail allisonDOTnannyclassifiedsATgmail rest you know.