If you struggle with unwanted hair that makes you feel self-conscious and shy, it might be time to try laser hair removal to get rid of it for good and regain your confidence.
Most people, however, know very little about laser hair removal treatments and how they work, so itâ€™s no surprise that they are reluctant to try them. The truth is that getting unwanted hair removed with a laser is one of the most effective ways to get the smooth, hairless skin youâ€™ve always wanted.
Learning the facts about laser hair removal can help you understand the procedure better and decide if itâ€™s the right choice for your body.
- Laser hair removal involves using a handheld device that sends out strong beams of light to destroy hair at its root. The extreme heat of the laser damages the hair follicle and affects its ability to grow new hair.
- The procedure can significantly slow down hair growth, but you might need to get several treatments before you see long-term results. The number of treatments you need depends on your body, genetics and hair type. After you get the results you are looking for, you might have to come back in for periodic maintenance treatments.
- The cost of laser hair removal can vary depending on the number of treatments you need to get and the area you want to treat. It can, however, be a better investment in the long run, compared to waxing treatments.
- Laser hair removal treatments work best for people who have light skin and dark hair because the laser beam targets dark-colored areas. Itâ€™s difficult to remove blonde or white hair from pale skin or dark hair from dark skin but not impossible. Due to recent advances in technology, all people can now benefit from laser hair removal.
- How skin responds to laser hair removal can vary from one person to another. The most common side effects include pigment changes and skin irritation. In most cases, side effects are temporary. If you are worried about potential side effects, you can discuss them with your laser hair removal technician prior to getting treatment.
- Hair doesnâ€™t usually fall out immediately after treatment. It typically takes up to 10 days for expected hair loss.
- Laser hair removal can be a little uncomfortable, but itâ€™s not as painful as waxing. Some advanced laser systems have a built-in cooling device that automatically alleviates discomfort during the procedure.
- You might have to follow specific guidelines a few days before coming in for your appointment, so itâ€™s important to discuss with your technician how you should prepare for the procedure at your initial consultation.
Finally, and most importantly, laser hair removal is a great way to save time. Shaving and/or visits to the salon for a wax take countless hours out of your life. IPL hair removal, on the other hand, takes a few visits and that’s it â€“ it’s a great way to save time long-term.
About the Author