So youâ€™ve spent hours in the gym chiseling away at that pesky abdominal fat, and even longer avoiding questioning glares from friends and family when you turn down that 5th hamburger at the BBQ, all for the holy grail of holiday accessories, that coveted â€˜beach bodyâ€™. The problem is, most holiday destinations are full of temptations, ready and waiting to sabotage that six-pack, so how can you hold onto all the fruits of your labour while still having a great, enjoyable, indulgent holiday?
Although a couple of weeks seems like a long time to be away from your aggressive diet plan and state-of-the-art gym, the amount of damage that can be done to your physique in that period is negligible; provided you donâ€™t go on a mad drinking binge of course! By making intelligent food and drink choices, as well as incorporating some light exercise you can quite easily hold on to that wash board stomach, here are some quick tips:
Maintain a regular protein intake by taking some whey protein and amino acids in your luggage, this will ensure your muscles are being fed round the clock and will stop you from snacking on the local, err delicaciesâ€¦
- When eating out in the evening, well, you know the drill. Â Pick meals that contain lean meat, veggies and complex carbs
- We all like to relax with an alcoholic beverage or two on holiday, to minimize the impact on your midsection by choosing red wine or spirits with a diet mixer
- Pack long lasting, nutrient rich snacks like beef jerky and nuts to pick at when in your hotel room
- Long walks are a great way to keep body fat at bay, so why not take in some scenery or stroll to the restaurant or bar?
- Exercise need not be totally forgotten, body weight exercises like pushups, pull-ups and crunches are effective and can be performed in the hotel room or even at the beach!
It may seem abnormal to your fellow holiday makers that youâ€™re taking these kind of precautions, but as gym fanatics, making sure we have everything in place to protect our hard-earned beach bodies, after all, we want to show off on the beach right? Just remember the sense of pride derived from having people stop and stare in awe at you far outweighs the momentary pleasure gained from that glass of Sangria!
Joe is a fitness enthusiast and blogger, he plans to use all these tips when he takes his Mexico holidays later this year!