Many of us PaleoÂ adherentsÂ have been waiting for the day when we can show our friends and colleagues some hard evidence that the Paleo solution is the Right solution. People, that day may have come!
According to a study published inÂ Cancer Research, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research Eating a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet may reduce the risk of cancer and slow the growth of tumors already present. Studies such as these have been done before, however the researches of the British Columbia Cancer Research Centre believe that their findings are definitive enough that an effect on humans can definitely be considered. This is a massive breakthrough for the many millions of Paleo believers who have struggled convincing their conventional thinking counterparts and more importantly themselves about the benefits of Paleo Nutrition.
Part 1. The DietÂ´s
Diet 1 –
Based on a conventional western diet. It consisted of 55% carbohydrate, 23% protein and 22 % fat.
Diet 2 â€“
Quoted as a â€œMiami Beach dietâ€â€¦. (i.e. The Paleo Diet) consisted of 15 % carbohydrate, 58 % protein and 26 % fat.
A variety of mice were implanted with either human tumor tissue of mouse tumor tissue and were placed on two different diets. The results were quite astounding. The researches found that of the two tests the cancer diet grew significantly slower in mice on the Miami Beach Diet.
Mice with a genetic predisposition to breast cancer were also examined on the two diets. Scientists documented that almost half of the mice on the Western Diet developed breast cancer within their 1st year of life, where as none of the mice on the 2nd diet did. It was expected then that 70 % of mice on the western diet died from cancer but interestingly only one lived past the average age expectancy (around 2 years). On the other hand only 30 % of mice on the Paleo Diet developed cancer and more than half of these lived past their average life expectancy.
- â€œâ€¦Tumor cells, unlike normal cells, need significantly more glucose to grow and thrive. Restricting carbohydrate intake can significantly limit blood glucose and insulin, a hormone that has been shown in many independent studies to promote tumor growth in both humans and mice.â€ (Gerald Krystal, chief researcher)
- â€œa low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet has the potential to both boost the ability of the immune system to kill cancer cells and prevent obesity, which leads to chronic inflammation and cancer.â€ (Gerald Krystal, chief researcher)
This study may have opened an entirely new approach to the cure but more importantly the prevention of cancer. “This shows that something as simple as a change in diet can have an impact on cancer risk,” said lead researcher Gerald Krystal, Ph.D., a distinguished scientist at the British Columbia Cancer Research Centre. Hopefully some of our â€œHealth Expertsâ€ begin to acknowledge and implement discoveries such as these.
Read the full article here http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110614115037.htm and spread the word.
Paleo, The way to go!