Never heard of Quinoa? Weâ€™re not surprised. This wonder food once gathered dust on grocery store shelves. Â Over the last two years it has exploded on the internet, in cookbooks and in popular healthy diet recipes. It has become especially popular among vegan, weight loss, gluten-free and vegetarian diets. So what makes this newly discovered super food so â€œsuperâ€? Letâ€™s take a look at all of the benefits of Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).
Why Is Quinoa so Healthy?
- Itâ€™s easy to cook. Simply add water (or chicken broth) and bring to a boil. Make sure you rinse the Quinoa first. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes and youâ€™re done.Â It cooks faster than rice and you can simply drain the extra liquid like pasta if there is leftover.
- Itâ€™s EXTREMELY nutritious. Quinoa is filled with almost everything your body needs. Â It is packed with protein, twice the amount of normal grains. Plus, it contains all the essential amino acids, not the norm for a high protein food. Youâ€™ll also get 21% of you daily allowance of fiber from just one serving (1 cup). Â For vitamins it includes a high concentration of folate as well as vitamin E, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. The 3 main minerals found in Quinoa are manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Itâ€™s low in fat and calories. Quinoa has just 222 calories and 4 grams of fat per cup cooked. Itâ€™s also low in sodium and has no cholesterol or sugar.
- It has a long shelf life. Cooked Quinoa can be stored in the fridge for over a week and does not become dry like rice which makes it easy to grab for a fast meal. Some even say it tastes better re-heated. It also freezes well. Uncooked Quinoa lasts near forever as long as it is kept away from bugs and moisture.
- It works in many common recipes. Many people use Quinoa as a healthier substitute for rice or pastas which makes it very easy to fit into your daily meal plan. It will taste different in different recipes so you wonâ€™t get bored of it easily. Itâ€™s commonly used to make salads, risottos, soups and even desserts.
- Itâ€™s delicious! Quinoa has a very addictive nutty flavor. The texture is wonderful and it can be flavored with your favorite spices.
Now that you are aware of why you should make Quinoa a staple in your diet, letâ€™s share with you some of our favorite Quinoa recipes.
How to Incorporate Quinoa into Your Daily Meals!
- For Breakfast: If you like Oatmeal, youâ€™ll love Hot Quinoa Breakfast with Fruits.
- For Lunch: There are many variations of this Delicious Big Bowl.
- For Dinner: Our favorite and absolutely delicious topped with jalapenos, salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese: Quinoa and Black Beans.
- Kid Approved: If you want to make this food a staple, youâ€™ll have to find a way for your children to enjoy it as well. What kid doesnâ€™t love Cheesy Quinoa?