Nose-reshaping or nose surgery is scientifically termed as Rhinoplasty. People have nose surgery performed to enhance the size or look of their nose. Many of them have it performed to correct the abnormal nose structure that hinders breathing through the nose due to injury or by birth.
Significance of Rhinoplasty
- Nose surgery alters your nose proportion with respect to other facial features
- If there are depressions or humps on the bridge then surgery changes your profile appearance
- In case your nasal tip is too upturned, large, drooping or bulbous it gets transformed
- Nose job reshapes the nostrils that are upturned, wide or large
- Nasal irregularity and deviation gets corrected
- Enhances nasal function making breathing comfortable
Types of Rhinoplasty technique
All kinds of nose surgery are categorized under:
- Open rhinoplasty – In this surgery technique the incisions are made in the nose interior and exterior.
- Closed rhinoplasty – All the incisions of the nose surgery are performed in the interior part of the nose.
Kinds of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Tip Rhinolasty – It involves the altering and reshaping the tip of the nose. It is generally done using a closed technique, but in certain cases it involves a grafting of cartilage tip.
- Bridge rhinoplasty – The bridge of the nose is corrected in size or/and in shape. Bridge lies in the middle and spreads across sideways. People have it performed either for cosmetic or functional reasons like breathing issues
- Hump rhinoplasty – Dordum or hump lies between your nose tip and forehead. It can have an abnormal shape or size. With the help of surgery hump size can be reduced, reshaped or changes can be done to its overall structure.
- Nostrils and cartilage rhinoplasty – In nose surgeries your cartilage can be transformed, reshaped or even removed. It all depends on the anticipated results. For enhancing nose function surgeons graft cartilage basically taken from your ear to reform a structural abnormality of a narrow nasal passage.
- Septoplasty – This is performed to straighten the septum or middle cartilage. Your septum might be bent from nasal trauma or birth defect. It is often done to change your facial appearance and in certain cases it lessens the symptoms of –
a)Â Â Â Â Â Rhinosinusitus – chronic nasal drip
b)Â Â Â Â Epistaxis Â – chronic nose bleed
- Reconstructive rhinoplasty – In cases of structural deformity because of nasal injury or due to birth defect reconstructive technique may be needed. It enhances overall nose appearance and functionality.
Things to consider prior surgery
Every patientâ€™s surgery needs are different, so rhinoplasty will be customized accordingly. Your plastic surgeon selects technique that suits your specific needs. The following points are taken into consideration before going in for a nose surgery.
- Your health or medical history if any
- Complete facial growth
- You will need to quit smoking
- You are mentally prepared for the reshape surgery
- It is your personal decision and not trying to fulfil someoneâ€™s expectation
You will be closely monitored in the recovery area. You will experience some discomfort, which will be taken care with medications. Depending on the operating technique, a splint may be placed on the bridge and not allowing the tissues from moving out of place till they have stabilized.
If the nose reshaping surgery has been done to enhance your breathing, there may be small triangular bandages under the nose tip. After a few hours you will be discharged or sometimes suggested to stay overnight.