Your alarm clock screams at you to WAKE UP!!!!
Unfortunately, it’s 5:30 in the morning and your internal body clock is telling you that it’s the middle of the night and that you should be asleep.
1 of 2 things happens.
- You throw the alarm clock across the room, go back to sleep, are late for work, get fired, become homeless and generally ruin for life
- You crawl out of bed, pour yourself a cup of coffee, light a smoke and choke down a bowl of Fruity Pebbles
According to the research published in the journal Cell, 2/3 of the people who choose option #2 are rewarded with a serious discrepancy between their:
- Natural Body Clock – which isÂ synchronized to the rotation of the earth (the sun clock)
- Social Clock – aka alarm clock, work schedule, night life, etc…
- drinking large amounts of coffee and caffeinated energy drinks
- smoking tobacco
- drinking alcohol
Even worse than that, it also makes it them prone to:
- Heart Disease
The Scientific Solution???
For our health, the researchers say that we should try to coordinate our social clock to our natural body clock.
Unfortunately, I don’t know too many employers who would be happy having employees come into work as per their individual body clocks.