The Top 10 Over The Counter Medications Abused by Teens
Over the Counter Medication Dangers
Warning: Your medicine cabinet may be a source of your teenâ€™s (and their friendâ€™s) high. With no prescription necessary, many people are under the impression the over-the-counter (OTC) medicines are safer than street drugs and prescription ones, but they couldnâ€™t be more mistaken.
Don’t be Fooled
Even when used as directed, OTC medicines can have lasting and potentially fatal side effects. According the National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens (NIDA), OTC medicine abuse is most common among teen ages 13 to 16, and these are the top 10 most commonly abused OTCâ€™s today.
- Cough Medicine:Â Specifically those with dextromethorphan like Nyquil and Robitussin. High doses cause a temporary sense of euphoria, but can cause seizures, hallucinations, blurred vision, and a high heart rate.
- Pain Relievers:Â Often taken in high doses to get faster relief by both adults and teens without realizing the potential damage to the kidneys and heart, pain relievers are commonly abused without intentions of getting high.
- Energy Drinks/Caffeine:Â NoDoz, 5 Hour Energy and canned energy drinks have become the quick fix for teens looking for more get-up-and-go or a quick buzz. Risks include dehydration, stomach reflux, panic attacks and cardiac irregularities.
- Diuretics and Laxatives:Â Abused more by females looking to shed pounds than males, water pills and OTC laxatives can also cause dehydration and impede mineral absorption in the body, while also affecting muscle function and blood acidity.
- Diet Pills:Â Another one most used by females, but the trend is growing within males according to the NIDA. Although many ingredients in diet pills are banned by the FDA for certain uses, they are present in numerous herbals and diet pills.
- Motion Sickness Pills:Â Taken in large doses, motion sickness pills that contain Dramamine or Benadryl can be seriously harmful. Teens may take dozens of pill to get a euphoric high without realizing that this can result in cardiac arrest, coma, and even death.
- Pseudoephedrine:Â A nasal decongestant and stimulant that is sought out to make methamphetamine, most pseudoephedrines are locked behind the counter in stores due to FDA regulations.
- Sexual Enhancers:Â These are remarkably easy to buy on the Internet from foreign sources, and are typically used in combination with alcohol to counteract any effects on sexual performance. The greatest risk with these involves long and short-term cardiac problems.
- Synthetic Drugs:Â Legally sold in convenience stores and herbal shops and snorted or smoked, these synthetic drugs have different effects for everyone. Unregulated and inconsistent in content, strokes, muscle spasms, seizures, heart attack and death have been reported from the use of these stimulants.
- Other Herbals:Â Many offer hallucinogenic and euphoric effects and are completely legal. Lack of regulation again makes the side effects of herbals unpredictable.
Be Proactive for Your Kids
If you have children in the home, itâ€™s best to keep these OTC medicines out of reach and keep any eye on your youngster for any signs that they are using legal herbals. Explain to your teen the dangers of these drugs and include them in your talks about illegal street drugs so they are aware of the risks.
One thought on “The Top 10 Over The Counter Medications Abused by Teens”
Comment by Save The American Family – STAF, Inc., -not-for-profit-
By Dr. Christian von Christophers, Ph.D., N.D.
This info will save trillions in health care costs
America must learn the #1 skill: Healthy Lifestyle & Correct Nutrition
Avoid big food bills, big bellies & big sickness costs
Quote: “To stay healthy you need to eat what your body wants, not what you want”
STAF, Inc. has a new Healthy Lifestyle & Correct Nutrition Program for the U.S. government’s use – fits worldwide for every nation’s.
Totally it took 26 years to develop, first 19 years worldwide research & the past 7 years to modify it for the U.S. needs. This program covers, for the first time ever, all necessary elements to get the lasting results in all family related challenges & in our rampant obesity, overweight & sickness levels. Its nutritional program leading to health & to a longer life is at the same time an automatic weight loss program: nothing to buy, no calories to count, no unreasonable portion control – eat as needed; just follow the easy instructions.
The biggest news is this: the correct, health-restoring & health-maintaining food with all necessary daily nutrients in the correct combination costs ONLY about $95 per one (adult) person monthly. The new program guides you to buy your food ingredients in your local supermarket & prepare your food in your own kitchen based on the new, delicious recipes. The bigger the family, the less $ per/person. Only a program everyone can afford is a solution to our nation’s health challenges.
Your food expenses, time being, are probably many times more than in this new STAF, Inc.’s results bringing program. Everyone can afford this amazing program whether one works on the minimum salary or lives on the social security or similar.
The saved money this new STAF, Inc. program guides you to place in safe investments – STAF, Inc. endorses only a few investment adviser companies as reliable. With the saved money your family can create substantial wealth within time. Also a millionaire?
STAF, Inc.has 10 private services given a unique lifetime result-guarantee with only a one-time fee – see website.
The new Healthy Lifestyle & Correct Nutrition program will, in a televised D.C. event, be introduced to our nation, to The W.H., The President, The U.S. Congress & Senate & to all related federal agencies.
STAF, Inc.’s presence is needed in D.C. in the U.S. Congress (House & Senate). STAF, Inc.’s founding President is planning (1) to seek a seat in D.C. Congress/Senate to provide the necessary information to the D.C. lawmakers and (2) to establish a new federal agency, Healthy Lifestyle & Family Success Agency & to be named its first federal director. New legislation & training for all these matters are needed in a results-bringing manner.
STAF, Inc.’s slogan: Less suffering – more lifeâ„¢
Our website page tops have a link to study the original STAF, Inc.’s founding documents to see its mission statements.
Save The American Family – STAF, Inc., -not-for-profit, needs donations to widen its important work for your & your family’s richer, healthier & safer future.
Mail any size of donation in any currency as paper money to: STAF, Inc., GPO 339, New York, NY 10116-0339, USA. In the envelope enclose your name & email address – STAF, Inc. will email you a tax deductible confirmation receipt.100 % of donations will be used for STAF, Inc.’s help operations in reducing sickness & promoting healthy lifestyle.
Listen to STAF, Inc.’s popular Radio Shows – you’ll get free CEU & College-University credits nationwide or worldwide. To visit STAF, Inc.’s extensive website, search the internet with: “Save The American Family – STAF, Inc.- Home” – (one ‘F’ in STAF, Inc.).
Christian von Christophers, Ph.D., N.D.
STAF. Inc.’s founding President