1. Use smaller plates at dinner.Take two fewer bites of most things you eat (broccoli is not on this list)! Put leftover food away right after serving dinner so you arenâ€™t tempted to go back for seconds just because itâ€™s there! Iâ€™m fully aware that these are three tips in one. Shorter sentences were on sale today.
2. Women tend to reduce their muscle mass by 1/3 and lose 12-14% of their strength by age 60 (with a concurrent increase in body fat percentage).Glinda the Good cannot wave her wand to solve this, Mr. Goodbar will only cheer you up for a few minutes (yes, I know theyâ€™re tasty, but milk chocolate? Meh), and even â€œsex on the platterâ€ with Mr. Goodstuff wonâ€™t solve this dilemma (okay, it will a bit). You need to add strength training to your routine, ladies. Sometime sooner than age 59 Â½ !!
Editor’s note:Â Ladies, if you’re worried about whether or not weight training will make you huge, follow the link for Alexandra’s previous post on this topic.
3. During exercise, 25 to just above 50% of the fat that is expended comes from intramuscular fat. The rest? Fatty acids in the blood, then adipose tissue. So? Soâ€¦to burn more fat, work at a comfortable, but challenging intensity. ALERT ALERT ALERT. Notice I did not say, â€œto burn more calories,â€ I said, â€œto burn more fat.â€ Thatâ€™s different.
4. Did #3 leave you with your adipose tissue flapping in the wind, totally curious about the difference between burning fat and burning calories? To burn more calories, incorporate high-intensity short-duration workouts (interval & fast continuous), plus multi-mode training. For people who love math (all 3 of you), Slower and longer = more fat burned; faster and shorter = more calories burned. But Iâ€™m still going to say you need strength training.
5. Motivating music can make you work out harder, faster and longer as the tempo goes up, A 10% tempo increase can significantly increase your endurance and make exercise a more positive experience. Suggested bands? Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Madonna. Does this mean the material girl will rock your blood sugar sex magik, all you Bohemians?
Sources: Science Daily, 10/02/08; Kravitz, L. â€œThe Caloric Burn and Strategies to Enhance Fat Metabolismâ€ 2009; Josephson, S. â€œWomen, Metabolism & the Hormonal Highwayâ€ 2010.