Why People Really Exercise
(based totally on random science pulled out ofÂ my toned squishy butt):
1. In the category of “Duh,” women care about weight loss; men about muscleÂ mass & tone (Okay, I didn’t make this one up; it’s based on surveys).
2. To look hot, awesome, available, Dead Sexy, tolerable (before 2:00Â closing time), fine and bootylicious. If you don’t believe me, I did aÂ search for “reasons to exercise” and got a link to an article that had an adÂ “Meet Fit Singles” right there! In bold!
3. To meet and hang out with people who are not necessarily their partners,Â children, co-workers or peripheral relatives. Yes, I know we all love ourÂ families (I think my kids read my stuff so I had to say that), but it sureÂ can be nice to have like-minded adult friends, eh?
4. Flat Abs – This is, like, *totally* different from #2. Ask anyone. ButÂ not while they’re doing their ab exercises. Wait till they’re done. CourtesyÂ and all.
5. I want to feel better about myself. Oh, and fit all that expensive stuffÂ in my closet. (Psst, did you know men exercise to lose weight because theyÂ actually are overweight (health reason), while women exercise to lose weightÂ due to body dissatisfaction (appearance reason) Ingledew and SullivanÂ (2002).
6. To be stronger and younger. Me personally, I’d rather have a fitÂ 60-year-old body than an unfit 28-year-old one. Either way, I’d send himÂ home in the morning!
7. To be able to do stuff. Being limited physically is no fun. I mean,Â what’s the point of living if I can’t touch my toes?
8. Bragging rights. Just between us, isn’t it sort of satisfying to shareÂ your exercise stories? By the way, have I told you about my 5-mile walk inÂ the snow yet?
Whatever YOUR reason for exercise, you should at least know this: people whoÂ exercise for health reasons will stick with it a lot longer than those whoÂ choose appearance. Here’s your 2011 motto (you’re welcome): Come for theÂ health; stay for the looks.